Big Sky Wind Farm, Bureau & Lee Counties, IL
- Bureau & Lee Counties, IL
- 240 MW
- 114 turbines
- Acquired 2014
- Approximately 272,000 tons of offset CO2 each year
- 22,400 acres in project area
The Big Sky Wind Farm is located in Bureau and Lee Counties, IL on primarily farm land. Big Sky commenced operation in 2011 as an Edison Mission Energy Project. EverPower acquired the project from Suzlon in May 2014.
The project uses 114 Suzon S88 V3-21 wind turbine generators on 80 meter towers, each with a nameplate capacity of 2.1 MW. In total, Big Sky generates enough electricity to power over 58,000 homes annually. The electricity from Big Sky is connected to the Commonwealth Edison Grid which is located in the PJM RTO.
- Nearly $37 million in payments distributed among Bureau and Lee Counties, four local townships and multiple school districts
- Approximately $3.8 million in local goods and services for operation and maintenance over the life of the project
- 19 full-time operation and maintenance positions
- Big Sky Wind, LLC implemented a Conservation Plan to avoid and minimize potential impacts to state listed species within the project area.